Now, some people (read between the lines -> men), consider women to be utterly complicated, unbelievably confused and unpredictable. They are right! We are all of that. We are also endearing, affable, emotional and intelligent. By design, men and women are different and it is a difference that needs to be appreciated. Am sure lot of people do appreciate that :P. But no book or preaching guru can help one figure out ‘What women want’, simply because the question is so huge and encompassing of so many personalities. Different people want different things and it is tough to generalize. Having said that, through media and popular culture, certain qualities have been attributed to women, a certain sort of stereotyping has been done. It is important to take those in the right spirit because we all know, not every man keeps his room untidy and not every woman is obsessed with shopping. So in that spirit, here’s my take on what women want:
1. Women want respect – I can vouch for the fact that any woman who has been eve teased or been whistled at knows how disrespectful it is. We do not expect to be treated like royalty (except for on special occasions :)), but we do not want to be treated like walking ornaments either. Women can be more than just receptionists and secretaries.
2. Women want long term relationships – By relationships, I do not mean only the romantic ones. Even when it comes to friendships, women believe in making friends for a lifetime. Every person they hang out with or go to a movie with is not necessarily their best friend. Yes, women may not go to cool pubs on weekends and bond over hangovers but, they will be there for you on your wedding day, on the day you are feeling down and out, on your anniversary and on any day when you just need a friend to talk to. Women may not talk to their college best buddies for years but when they have a special event to celebrate, they will want their best friend there to share the occasion and to click pictures 😛 and to bitch about random stuff 😉
3. Women want clothes and shoes – Well, a woman’s gotta do what a woman’s gotta do. I think it would be a waste if we did not buy stilettos and skirts and jeans and jackets and purses and belts. What would have people like Jimmy Choo and Versace done with their talents had the women folk not come in to their rescue. On a less lighter note, I do not think women are genetically built to shop but would like to believe that we have been spoiled by choice. We like to buy dresses in various colors because we have dresses in various colors. I do not think pink suits or yellow tuxedos appeal to most men, hence, our wants are justified !!
Also, it is perfectly okay for women to drool over latest apparel when guys drool over every other product that Apple doles out.
4. Women want their space – I think this is something I personally believe in very strongly. It is very important to not rush women into doing things just because its the right ‘age’ or the right ‘time’ or the right ‘person’. Women are slowly but surely coming into their own and exploring various opportunities. It is important that more women follow their dreams and create their own unique identities and spaces.
5. Women want happiness – I think this is a universal truth. But, the reason why I have put this seemingly obvious point on the list is that, more than success or money or respect or clothes, women feel good when they are happy. And the great thing about that is more often than not, that happiness is derived from the success of their partners, or the achievements of their siblings or the accomplishments of their friends. Ever wondered why women are so darn good at throwing parties or surprise get-togethers? Simple. They enjoy being a part of the celebration and are genuinely happy.
6. Women want the truth – Did I just see some men shrug off or raise eyebrows. Well, as much as you would like to disagree, truth is women appreciate honesty. The truth may hurt them or make then angry, but, given time, women tend to move on because, forgiving comes very naturally to most women. Yes, if you call her fat, she will hate you for the entire day, but, she will get over it either by hitting the gym or eating a chocolate bar :). So, telling the truth works much better than any other one liner.
PS: The opinions expressed are totally mine and all men and women are free to disagree 🙂